You may be aware that the Association operates a 5 year rolling programme of improvement and planned maintenance works. The programme is also part of a larger 30 year programme that we need in order to budget longer term

The five year programme is based on annual surveys and inspections carried out by consultants, supported by ad hoc reports from our maintenance team and feedback from our tenants groups. You can always check with our Maintenance team about any planned improvements.

Prior to carrying out any major repairs or improvement programmes in your home, we are committed to fully consulting with you before any work starts. You will be told IN ADVANCE in writing about when the contractor is likely to start work, how long the work is likely to take and what we will do if your enjoyment of your home is disrupted or if your decoration is likely to be damaged.


In your Scottish Secure Tenancy Agreement, the repairs you are responsible for are fully detailed.  You should note, in particular, that you are responsible for replacing bulbs for equipment which are exclusive to your home, an example being back door security lights.

You are NOT responsible for replacing bulbs for any common areas e.g. tenement closes or stairs or security lights in common back garden areas.  These are our responsibility.

Tenants are, however, responsible for replacing washing line ropes and ropes for rotary driers.


Prior to carrying out any alterations or improvements of your own, you must obtain our WRITTEN permission BEFORE you do anything.

This includes:

  • Installing a shower, fitting a new kitchen or bathroom, or any electrical work
  • Any gas appliance such as a cooker or feature fire but not any form of bottled gas appliances which are not permitted under any circumstances
  • Laminated flooring or any form of fixed flooring such as ceramic tiles
  • Putting up garden sheds, greenhouses, garages or new fencing
  • Putting up satellite dishes, TV aerials, CB aerials or signs

Satellite dishes will only be allowed on the rear of our property where permission has been granted.

To make things easier for you, we have an Application Form for requesting permission. These can be obtained from both offices or click here Application for Alterations

We will not withhold permission for your proposals unreasonably.  A response to your Application will be processed within 20 working days and any conditions attached to our permission will be put in writing.

You must contact the Association once you have completed the work in order for an inspection to be carried out. If you do not contact the Association for an inspection, you will not get your alteration work approved.

The alterations and improvements you carry out may qualify for Compensation. If so, you must retain all original invoices for the work. I strongly recommend that you examine the Right to Compensation for Improvements scheme.


Contained within your Tenancy Agreement are references to your Right to Repair and Compensation for Improvements.  If you have any queries about these please contact your Maintenance Officer for more information.


  • We will tell you in writing before we do any major work to your home
  • Before you alter or improve your home yourself, you need our written permission in advance

Other Documents