How Do I Complain?

You can complain in person at any of Angus Housing Association Offices, by phone, in writing, by email or via our complaints form  you can also use this form to make compliments and comments.

It is easier for us to address complaints if you make them quickly and directly to the service concerned. So please talk to a member of our staff the service you are complaining about.  Then they can try to resolve the issue.

When complaining, please tell us:

  • your full name and contact details
  • as much as you can about the complaint
  • what has gone wrong; and
  • what outcome you are seeking.